Welcome!

I plan to post topics regarding trends in distance education, as well as other information that pertains to enabling learners learn in a "non-traditional" environment!

Thursday 14 June 2012

WHAT MOTIVATES STUDENTS IN DISTANCE LEARNING?



Motivating students who are sitting live in front of you can be a difficult task.  How does one motivate students potentially 1000s of kilometers away?  This is a task that instructional designers and teachers face when designing and instructing their distance education courses.

Over the duration of ETAD 802, I have been trying to synthesize the topics we’ve been learning and attempt to make sense of them from a holistic perspective.  I found the topic of open learning to be very interesting.  In my previous post, I posted about MIT aiming for a goal of a possible 1 billion learners taking part in open learning from their institute.  I thought to myself: what would motivate students to take these courses, even if they are non-credit?  From an instructional point of view, what do students find important?

In my earlier readings about learning and motivation, Bandura’s four principle sources for influencing self-efficacy beliefs were drawn to my attention (see Driscoll,  p. 318) and I tried to relate them to the readings I’ve done about open learning.  I came across a study entitled “Faculty actions that result in student satisfaction in online courses” by Lana C. Jackson, Stephanie J. Jones, and Roy C. Rodriguez.  I realize that satisfaction and motivation are two different things, but I could not help but feel that some of their findings would be applicable to Bandura’s principles. 

Even though the course in the study is not an “open learning” environment per se, I found that elements of the findings could be applied to on online instructor in an open or closed format.  Especially interesting to me is that the study focused on what educators can do to obtain student satisfaction.   If a class size of 1 billion is to be obtained, the quality of instruction must be very high!

Accessibility of the instructor, clear expectations, and enthusiasm from the instructor were variables that were important to the learners in the study.  On average, these factors were deemed more successful at student satisfaction over variables such as course activities.  I found this interesting!

Relating to Bandura’s principles, the study found that….
-       Enactive mastery experiences providing feedback – the students viewed a timely response from the instructor as important in the perception of their value of the course.  Shall I teach online again, I would just have to figure out how to get to as many at once.  Using message boards would be an option.
-       Vicarious experiences – I found this quote from the article to sum it up exactly “… teaching presence includes the faculty member’s ability to facilitate and direct cognitive and social engagements within the online environment in such a manner as to provide meaningful and educationally worthwhile learning experiences and outcomes for the enrolled students”  Once learners see what others are contributing, they follow the lead of the other learners.  Educators just have to provide meaningful topics.  This is applicable both on and off camera.
-       Verbal Persuasion – the relatively high value found in the study for “enthusiasm for student learning of the instructor” could be construed as a motivator for further interactions and encouragement of success.
-       Success Dependent on Physiological States – no mention or indicators in article.

I also came across another study that correlated student satisfaction versus performance in blended learning curricula conducted by Dr. Nachamma Sockalingam at SIM University, Singapore.  Take a look:





She states that since programs are increasing at a high rate quality is important at retaining and attracting learners.  Therefore, satisfaction is related to motivation which could lead to increased performance. 

I plan to keep tabs on developments in open learning and student satisfaction!


  
references:  

Driscoll, M. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed). Boston, MA: Pearson A&B

Jackson, L. C., Jones, S. J., & Rodrigues, R. C. (2010). Faculty actions that result in
student satisfaction in online courses. Journal of Asynchronous Learning
            Networks, 14(4), 78-96. Retrieved from http://sloanconsortium.org

3 comments:

  1. The relationship between satisfaction and motivation is fascinating (and also probably indirect). A colleague of mine developed the RCD model of motivation. RCD stands for relevance, competence, and desire. It asks three simple questions: Do learners think the learning is relevant? How competent o they feel? And how much do they desire to undertake the job of learning? These factors interact, to create some pretty interesting combinations. For example, if someone feels something is not very relevant, feels completely incompetent, but wants to learn it , you can have a pretty interesting time teaching them. You probably need to demonstrate the relevance, and carefully build a sense of competence, so you don't destroy the desire to keep working.

    But satisfaction often comes later, doesn't it. Whether or not I'm motivated to learn something, I still feel satisfied (smug self-satisfaction sometimes) that I did. When I first learned the Greek alphabet, I somehow felt a deep rush of satisfaction, despite the fact that I had no motivation to learn it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find motivation fascinating! The mix of students that I currently have seem to be intrinsically motivated. I also see that a lot of this comes from their parents. An interesting video that I came across on motivation in general is this http://vimeo.com/8480171 While it does not talk about motivation and distance learning, it is an interesting conversation to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rick! I especially agree with your comment about satisfaction, especially that "smug self-satisfaction" feeling! I get that when I accomplish an especially difficult task. In a way, that motivates me to tackle even bigger challenges.

    Aaron, I also have students who are intrinsically motivated - I really notice that in my grade 12 calculus classes. They are a joy to teach. On the other hand, however, the less than motivated ones are also the ones who keep us as educators honest!!!

    ReplyDelete